Today, February 2, marks the middle of Winter.
As I am very vocal about my dislike for the short and cold days of winter, I felt called to share my list of what is saving me. I found this prompt and idea from Modern Mrs Darcy and hope you will take some time to review what has been getting you through the first part of the winter.
Despite extremes in temperatures in Kentucky, January did not feel as dreadful as years in the past. However, I feel like my list is part of the reason I have made it through.
Having a Barre studio open 10 minutes from my home is exactly what I have been needing. It is true if your workout studio or gym isn’t near your work or home, or offer something you love, you will not go. It has been years since I’ve actually scheduled my life around my workouts and that is what I am doing. Barre Lex offers all things barre including regular barre classes, spin barre and bounce barre. I’ve been averaging 3 classes a week and have fallen in love with bounce barre (barre work on a trampoline). I know without a doubt that this has pulled me through January. I even got out of the house in temperatures below 10 degrees to attend class (this is significant for me).
I have always struggled with any type of meditation but have been meditating in some form since a friend informed me of Insight Timer. Insight Timer is an app for iphone and android that includes millions of meditations. The listener can easily find a meditation for any need (guided, music, sleep, anxiety) and length of time. If you are like me and don’t feel you are someone who can meditate, I encourage you to try this. It has been something I recommend to many of my clients.
I purchased this tunic during the Loft 50% off sale and could wear it EVERY day. Wishing it came in different colors.
A quick breakfast is often the most difficult meal to eat when one is gluten free. I am so grateful that Starbucks has these egg white bites. They are perfect!!
Epsom Salts Detox Bath
Taking an epsom salts bath is part of my weekly self care routine each Sunday. I use 2 cups of epsom salts, a choice of bubbles and essential oils. It is a perfect way to end the weekend and prepare for the week ahead.
In my pursuit of the perfect moisturizer I purchased an It Cosmetics Set during Christmas at Sephora. I knew immediately this was going to work for me. One would never know I have dry skin. PS: I also love their eye serum.
There are also so many little things that have saved me thus far.
- Reruns of Mad Men. Rather than watch the 7:00 news at night, James and I have been watching reruns of Mad Men. Mad Men has actually saved me before as this was the series I binged watched every night after my Mom and Nanny died. When I couldn’t sleep I would watch Netflix and let each episode run into the other. I’ve watched the whole series but it is nice to watch the episodes again.
- Hugs from my cat Sam. Sam is truly the most loving cat. He often demands to be picked up and will latch onto our shoulders as if he is truly hugging us. Each night he falls asleep in the curve of my knees.
- Adidas Sneakers – my new gray Adidas simply make me happy and happy gets you through the dark days.
- Sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts – I could eat them everyday!
- And of course, my husband! Without this guy, I am not sure where I would be.
What has helped you get through the first part of winter? Here’s hoping that Springtime will come soon for each of us!