Snow on Tuesday called for an unexpected snow day in Kentucky and the need for warm soup.
After seeing an instastory of cauliflower soup from my friend Kate, I began to crave some of my own. She was unable to forward her exact recipe and I pulled together a variety of recipes to make my own. (I am still hoping to try her recipe.) This recipe is paleo and gluten free and perfect on a cold day.
As winter continues to hit with snow and cold temperatures, I couldn’t wait to share this recipe.
Paleo Golden Cauliflower Soup
1 large head cauliflower (about 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 large carrots, diced (about 2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups beef broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup canned coconut milk (Most recipes called for coconut milk but I only had a can of coconut cream)
1. Wash and core the cauliflower, then coarsely chop. Set aside.
2. Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil. When the oil is melted, add onions, carrots, and garlic. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they’re soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped cauliflower and cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth and water, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
4. Working in batches, carefully transfer the cauliflower and some of the broth to a blender or food processor. Cover the top with a dish towel to protect yourself from splatters, and purée the cauliflower until smooth, adding more broth as necessary.
5. Pour the purée back into the soup pot, then add the salt, pepper, and coconut milk/cream. Stir to combine and cook over medium until heated through. Serve immediately with garnishes, or store covered in the refrigerator.
I am not sure what I was expecting but this soup was better than I expected. Many recipes suggest garnishes such as parsley or roasted almonds and chicken broth instead of beef broth but I feel this recipe is perfect.
Pin this recipe and make it this week!