A self care box is where you can place a list of the positive self care routines and objects for those days which are overwhelming. I encourage people to spend some time creating a fun box or purchase one which makes you happy. Within this box you can include a list or note to yourself and also include items that remind you what to do. When that bad/difficult day arrives – you simply pull out your box. Trust me, I’ve had to use my own several times.
A box will vary from person to person but it is often a nice gift to give someone who is going through a difficult time. Last week, I was able to create two self care boxes for a friend and her daughter.
I provided the following:
- Bubbles – blowing bubbles is a great way to help one remember to take a deep breath and to BREATHE!!
- Aromatherapy- hand lotion, small candles, perfume samples
- Taste – dark chocolate has been proven to improve mood and I included Dove Dark Chocolate bars along with truffles. It’s also nice to include a gift card to someplace like Starbucks – or any other place that can be a treat.
- Touch – I included silly putty. This is helpful to play with when feeling anxious. I like the version that changes colors as you move it.
- Personal – I always like to include some type of journal as a gift (that’s the journal writer in me) and I also included a hair tie and cute bobby pins for my friend’s daughter.
- Take a Walk
- Take a Bath (I have bubble bath)
- Call a friend – sometimes it is helpful to include the specific person to call
- Watch a funny comedy