Happy Thursday Everyone! It’s time to join Shannon in her Write Yourself Happy Journal Link Up. We continue with lists this week and I continue to feel that this is often the best journal technique to use in many areas. In many ways your daily “to do” list is a journal and when we look back at it we often see how our lives were going.
Today’s prompt encourages you to stop and take time to think about where you live right now – be it your house, neighborhood, town. If you are like me, I often go on vacation and talk about how beautiful a place is (the beach, the mountains) and I often state “do people know how lucky they are to live here.” I’ve realized over the years that we often take our daily surroundings for granted and overlook the things we love that we see and encounter everyday. The grass always looks greener and another’s house always seems better but the reality is it’s important to be grateful for what is around you.
So let’s begin my list of what I love about where I live right now.
1. It’s Derby Week in Kentucky – and truly our state is beautiful this time of year. Beautiful Hats and dresses, mint juleps, everyone looking fantastic.
2. Horse Farms – in Central Kentucky, you do not have to drive far to experience beautiful horses grazing in fields. Just last week a friend remarked on Facebook that as he drove by a farm with the sun setting, it felt like a movie set.
3. Neighborhood – My neighborhood has dedicated wetlands and green space and it is wonderful to be able to walk/run and be in nature.
4. We have this great view right down the street from our house – it’s one of many ponds which have ducks to feed and places to rest.
5. My house – this is the second house we built and we knew what we wanted. The downstairs is an open floor plan and great for entertaining.
6. Our Neighbors – it’s important to have neighbors who you know are looking out for you.
7. Lexington Arboretum – truly one of the most beautiful places to visit in Lexington. It has a fantastic over 2 mile walking trail and over the course of the year you see the complete change in all of the trees and plants.
8 Downtown Lexington: A few years ago, our neighbors down I-65(Louisville) came up with shirts stating “Keep Lexington Lame.” Over the past several years we have seen a resurgence of fantastic restaurants on Jefferson St and elsewhere, renovation of Triangle Park and Thursday Night Live. We also have a great Farmer’s Market.
9 Location – Lexington is in a fantastic location to reach other destinations. It’s wonderful to know there are multiple cities to run away to for long weekends in just a short drive. (Louisville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, Smoky Mountains, even Atlanta is a short flight away).
10. UK Basketball – perhaps only if you have lived here can you understand the appeal and love this state has for the University of Kentucky Basketball Program. We are often a little obsessed but it is wonderful to live in a city where it truly feels everyone is pulling together. We don’t have any professional teams in our state and this is our version.
Take some time to think about what you love about your home, your city and your state.
Sheryl is a transition coach, trainer and speaker from Lexington Kentucky. As the author of the blog How to Make A Life, she uses her own life and journey as a blueprint to help others find motivation, inspiration and hope for a healthy and happy life. About Twitter Instagram Pinterest