For the past two days, weather casters in Central Kentucky have been having an exciting time informing us that storms are coming on Halloween night. There are chances of heavy rain and wind gusts of 40-50 miles per hour. Most cities have moved trick or treating to Friday night. You can feel the energy of storms in the air.
Personally, I enjoy watching storms (from the safety of my house). I do find it amazing how nature has the ability to have such strong winds, torrential rains and then later a peaceful calm. Storms exist because of the clash of energy and unbalance in the atmosphere and with today’s technology, weather casters are able to predict that storms will likely exist.
As humans, our lives are no different that the atmosphere. Unbalance in our life creates personal storms. There are times when we can predict it is coming and other times when we can not. Unlike a weather front coming through, sometimes our personal storms last much longer as we are unable to find the balance that we need to find the calm and enjoy the peace.
It takes very little to alter the balance in our life. The past few weeks have been unsettling for me. I was knocked off balance by a change in my workout routine, (another) change in my daily schedule, gloomy grey days (remember I’m a summer girl) physically not feeling well (allergies have returned this year) and listening to some opinions that do not warrant my attention and had me doubt myself.
As the storms prepare to come through this afternoon and tonight, I hope to spend some time appreciating what being knocked off balance the past few weeks has done for me.
As I reevaluate what is going on in my life, I am prioritizing what I feel is important.
- I MUST work out on a regular basis. This is like medicine to me and I know it. I hate that at times it is a struggle to take time. Even if the weather is bad outside, we have a treadmill and workout equipment. I ran yesterday morning and instantly felt an improvement.
- I am tired of unnecessary drama in life. There are individuals in this world who constantly search for the latest work gossip, family gossip or simply make something up to talk about. Each of our lives are complicated enough without dishing the details of someones addiction, affair or other problems. I want to work on myself and have the best life that I can have. There is a lot of positive in this world and I want to be someone who focus upon the good.
- Although I continue to keep a gluten and dairy free diet, I have simply been struggling with what and when to eat. This is a life long problem I have had. I have to have a set schedule with times to eat, otherwise I will not. I rarely get hungry (this isn’t a good thing) and often realize I haven’t eaten only after developing a headache. In the past, I have had set work schedules with time for lunch, snacks etc. With my new routine I am acknowledging that I need to return to this routine of putting meal times in my calendar.
- I’ve been off of routine of blogging and writing in my own personal journal. I’ve often shared that when I reflect back on my journals and there are expanses of time when I do not write that life is either going well or is not so great. Not writing has been another example of being off balanced. for me over the last few weeks.
- After reading Rebecca’s “Why are you listening to these people?” post from her Working Girl blog, it reinforced the importance of who you receive advice from. She discusses how she was receiving advice from people but the reality is, she didn’t want to have the type of life these individuals had. Each of us should consider this subject. I’ve often found it funny that there are overweight physicians or that it isn’t uncommon to drive by a medical office park and see the employees outside smoking. As a counselor, I’ve done and continue to do my own personal work and never suggest a client try something that I haven’t tried myself. Listening to voices that are unhealthy or pointing you in the wrong direction can very easily knock you off balance. I”m learning to reevaluate who I listen to.